What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website. Cookies are sent back to the original website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognizes them. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user’s device. Cookies can perform different functions such as allowing you to navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving user navigation.
What types of cookies are there?
Depending on their purpose, cookies can be:
- Technical cookies: they are necessary for navigation. Without them the page would not function properly (“user input” cookies for online shopping baskets, media player session cookies, etc.).
- Personalization or configuration cookies: they allow the page to recognize the user’s language, font size, etc.
- Security cookies: prevent or hinder attacks against the website or its users.
- Analysis cookies: they allow the measurement of user activity and the elaboration of navigation statistics.
- Advertising cookies: they manage the frequency and content of ads.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: store information about users to show them personalized advertising.
What cookies do we use? Cookies configuration panel.
|Preferences||These cookies allow our websites to remember information that changes the look or behavior of the website, such as the language you prefer or the region you are in. For example, by remembering your region, a website can provide you with traffic news or local weather reports. These cookies also allow you to change the text size, font, and other parts of the web pages that you can customize.Loss of the information stored in a preference cookie may make the website experience less functional, but should not affect its operation.Most Google users have a preference cookie called “NID” enabled in their browsers. A browser sends this cookie through requests to Google’s websites. The NID cookie contains a unique ID that Google uses to remember your preferences and other information, such as your preferred language (e.g., Spanish), the number of search results you want displayed per page (e.g., 10 or 20), and whether you want Google’s SafeSearch filter to be on or off.|
|Processes||Process cookies allow the operation of the website and offer services expected by the user who accesses the website, such as browsing web pages or access to secure areas of the website. Without these cookies, the website cannot function properly.For example, we use a cookie called “lbcs” that allows Google Docs to open many documents in a browser. If this cookie were blocked, Google Docs would not be able to function properly|
|Session status||Websites often collect information about how users interact with them. This information may include which pages users visit most frequently and whether users receive error messages for certain pages. We use so-called “session status cookies” so that we can improve our services to enhance users’ browsing experience. If these cookies are blocked or deleted, the website will continue to function.These cookies may also be used to anonymously measure the effectiveness of pay per click (PPC) and affiliate advertising.For example, we use a cookie called “recently_watched_video_id_list” to enable YouTube to record the most recent videos viewed in a specific browser.|
|Google Analytics||Google Analytics is the analysis tool that helps website and application owners understand how visitors interact with their properties. This tool may use a set of cookies to collect information and provide website usage statistics without personally identifying Google visitors. The main cookie used by Google Analytics is “_ga”.In addition to providing website usage statistics, Google Analytics may also be used in conjunction with some of the advertising cookies described above to display more relevant ads on Google’s properties (e.g. on the Google search engine) and across the web and to measure interactions with the ads we display.|
How can I uninstall cookies?The user can freely decide about the implantation or not of our cookies in his hard disk, as well as their elimination, following the procedure established in the help section of his browser. Users can also configure their browsers to accept or reject all cookies by default or to receive an on-screen warning of the receipt of each cookie and decide at that time whether or not to install them on their hard drive. Below, we provide links to device and browser manufacturers for the management or deactivation of cookies for most browsers:
- For Internet Explorer: in the menu option: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Settings. To learn more visit the following links: http://windows.microsoft.com/es-es/windows7/how-to-manage-cookies-in-internet-explorer-9 and https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- For Google Chrome: in Options > Advanced > Privacy > Cookies. For more information visit the following link: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=es
- For Mozilla Firefox: in the menu option: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies. To learn more visit the following links: https://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/Borrar%20cookies and https://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/habilitar-y-deshabilitar-cookies-sitios-web-rastrear-preferencias?redirectlocale=es&redirectslug=habilitar-y-deshabilitar-cookies-que-los-sitios-we
- For Safari (IOS 8): in Settings > Safari > Block Cookies. To learn more visit the following link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677?viewlocale=es_ES
- For Opera: in Settings > Advanced > Privacy & Security > Content Settings > Cookies. For more information visit the following link: https://help.opera.com/en/latest/web-preferences/#cookies
- For Android: in Menu > Settings > Security & Privacy > Accept cookies to enable or disable the checkbox. For more information visit the following link: http://support.google.com/android/?hl=es
- For Windows Phone: in Internet Explorer > More > Settings > check or uncheck the box for Allow Cookies To learn more visit the following link: http://www.windowsphone.com/es-es/how-to/wp7/web/changing-privacy-and-other-browser-settings